Friday, May 22, 2009

Visual Poetry: The Good and the Bad

Wow, it's been a while (I know this because there's a little message saying my last post was four weeks ago) but I've had an excuse ;)
Blame Will(iam Shakespeare). We've had rehearsals for a while now, so after school time was used up as was the class time. But, now that the plays are out of the way, I've got more time to work on this blog, and catch up on what I've missed.

So, task number 1: Find two examples of video poetry, one bad and one good. The task was to find the tasks from the school server, but I decided to find them from the internet because that way you would be able to see what it is I'm critiquing.
I'll start off with a bad example:
(Alright, unfortunately, because of the website I was using, the embedded video was too big, so sorry about this, but you'll just have to go to the link...)

http://www.poetryvisualized.com/media/3233/Hello/

I don't really like this clip, it just seems to easy. Someone put a compilation of video clips to music. I don't know if this might just be another style or something of the sort, but it's definitely not what we're supposed to be doing. There is no text, which means there is no actual poetry. I believe the term is visual POETRY, I don't know, it just seems like there's something missing ;) Even if there was text, I think the fact that there's moving clips would distract too much from the text. I like the idea, but I just don't think it would work. This example does have something going for it, the music seems to fit the images quite well. A good thing it this example, but in our Multimedia Poetry shows, I think the music should fit the text, not the images.

Example Number 2:



This is one of the better ones I found. The thing that caught my attention was the music, and how well it fit with the words. I think one of the reasons it's an effective piece of work is the fact that it's lacking images. Everything is easy to read and the music fits well with the poetry because there are no distractions. There is a nice, simple background that seems to fit in well with the poem, but no images. It's really easy to catch the point of the poem, and because of this, I think it makes a good example of Multimedia Poetry.

Voila, two examples, one good, one bad, now for the next assignment...

No comments:

Post a Comment